Friday, June 7, 2013

Why are you interested in comic books?


I have always loved stories that display a struggle between good and evil.  My dad served in Europe during World War 2. He had a collection of photos that he took while he was there. Some showed the aftermath of the Holocaust.  The struggle between good and evil on display.  Also, there was the idea that I could somehow have a part to play in this struggle.  Would I be good or evil? I choose good.

In comic books I found endless stories of super heroes and super villains participating in this great struggle. As a child I dreamed of having super powers.  What would my role be? As an illustrator I love bringing stories and characters to life. I want to constantly improve at the craft of comic books, and there is much to learn.  Is my role in this great struggle limited to art making? When the mythic struggle spills over into our nightly news broadcast I ask is there a greater role for me to play?  I know this. When Peter Parker was teased he didn’t bring a gun to school and shoot up the classroom.  When we read stories about characters who display a nobility of spirit our own spirits are raised.  There is value in that. We need more of that.  That is why I am interested in comic books.

Read my comics at www.gorillaheadcomics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment